Keep your family safe when travelling - get European Health Insurance Card cover today. Apply now for a fast, guaranteed service.

family getting EHIC

How can I change the address on my EHIC?

If you have a change in your circumstances, you are required to inform the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) as soon as possible. If your main residence is no longer the UK – if, for example, you move abroad to live or work – then you may not be entitled to a UK EHIC. In these circumstances you must inform the NHSBSA. If you use the EHIC when no longer entitled to it, you may be liable to pay the full costs of your treatment.

Moving house in the UK or moving back to the UK from another country

It’s reasonably straightforward to change the address associated with your EHIC, though you won’t have to change the card itself as the address is not printed on it.

What you’ll need:

  • Your PIN number
  • Details of your previous address

Even of you don’t need to renew your EHIC, you will need to go through the process of applying for an EHIC.

You’ll need to do the following:

  • Enter your PIN
  • Enter your previous address
  • Click continue
  • Repeat until you arrive at the ‘Application Summary Details’ page – select the option to edit your details
  • The system will now recognise you as an EHIC card holder
  • Enter the new address on the system

Alternatively, and if you don’t have an EHIC PIN number, you can contact the NHS in one of the following ways:


Telephone (UK): 0300 330 1350

Telephone (overseas): 0044 191 279 0575

Moving house from one country outside the UK to another country outside the UK

You won’t be able to change your address in the above way. Instead you’ll need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions Overseas Healthcare Team (DWP OHT) on:

Telephone: 0044 191 218 1999 (select option 1 when prompted)

If appropriate, the DWP will issue a new EHIC application form.

Moving from the UK to outside the UK

If you choose to permanently move away from the UK, you will no longer be able to use your EHIC and you should return it to the country of origin.

However, if you have a valid S1 form registered in your new country of residence, you may be able to request the EHIC form and then apply for a new EHIC.

You can contact the DWP overseas health team on:

From the UK: 0191 218 1999 (select option 1)

From outside the UK: 0044 191 218 1999 (select option 1 when prompted)

Move back to the UK after emigrating abroad

If you move back to the UK after emigrating, you’ll need to get in touch with the NHS either by telephone on 0300 330 1350 or by emailing to discuss your options.

Get started today, with our quick and simple online application...