Replace Your European Health Insurance Card Here

Main Applicant Details

Spouse / Partner Details

Yes No

Dependent Child Details

Yes No

Child no.: #{{$index+1}}




I acknowledge that I will lose the right to cancel the order within the statutory period of 14 working days as we will commence the delivery of an order immediately and before this statutory period ends. Therefore the services will have deemed to have been provided and you will lose the right to cancel your order. I acknowledge that I have British, EU, EEA or Swiss nationality and that all persons to be specified in this application are UK residents. I understand that should any person on this application decide to remain abroad to live or work, then the relevant authorities must be informed and the EHIC returned. The information that I give on this form is correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and I have read and accept the terms of the privacy policy.

Main Applicant Details

Title: {{formData.ma_title}}
Forename(s): {{formData.ma_forename}}
Date of Birth: {{formData.ma_dob}}
NHS or NI No.: {{formData.ma_nhs_or_ni_no}}
EHIC PIN Number: {{formData.ma_ehic_pin_number}}

Spouse / Partner Details

Title: {{formData.pa_title}}
Forename(s): {{formData.pa_forename}}
Date of Birth: {{formData.pa_dob}}
NHS or NI No.: {{formData.pa_nhs_or_ni_no}}
EHIC PIN Number: {{formData.pa_ehic_pin_number}}

Dependent Child Details

Number of Children: {{formData.ca_number}}

Children No.#: {{$index+1}}

Title: {{formData.ca_title[$index+1]}}
Forename(s): {{formData.ca_forename[$index+1]}}
Date of Birth: {{formData.ca_dob_d[$index+1]}}-{{formData.ca_dob_m[$index+1]}}-{{formData.ca_dob_y[$index+1]}}
NHS or NI No.: {{formData.ca_nhs_or_ni_no[$index+1]}}
EHIC PIN Number: {{formData.ca_ehic_pin_number[$index+1]}}

Contact information

Address Line 1: {{formData.addressline1}}
Address Line 2: {{formData.addressline2}}
Town or City: {{}}
County: {{formData.county}}
Country: {{}}
UK Postcode: {{formData.postcode}}
Phone Number: {{}}
Email: {{}}
Registration fee: £35.00

Thank you for your order. We are now processing your order.
Please check your email for your confirmation.


EHIC card replacement made easy

Do you need to replace your EHIC card? The good news is that you’re at the right place. Don’t get stressed out with complicated application forms – simply let us do the hard work for you before embarking on your travels.

Our EHIC card replacement service makes EHIC replacement as simple as can be. You won’t have to worry about excessive form-filling, and we’ll ensure all details are correct in order to validate your European health insurance card replacement.

A valid card provides you with the right to access state-funded healthcare while visiting countries within the European Economic Area (also knows at the EEA) and Switzerland. With a valid EHIC card replacement, any medically-necessary treatment will be covered up until you return home as planned. Treatment will be provided in the exact same way it would to residents of the country you are visiting – either at a reduced cost or free of charge.

In some EEA countries, residing patients are sometimes expected to contribute a certain percentage towards the cost of any state-funded treatment. This is what is known as co-payment. Once you have arranged your EHIC replacement, you will be expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a resident of the country you are visiting, should you need treatment during your trip.

E111 replacement is beneficial because it also covers the costs of any ongoing treatments for pre-existing medical conditions or routine maternity treatments, provided your sole purpose for visiting the country is not to give birth or seek treatment for an existing condition. For more information about what is covered by European health card replacement, you should consult the terms and conditions of the country or countries within the EEA that you intend to visit.

It is important to understand that EHIC card replacement should not be considered as a form of travel insurance. An EHIC will not cover any private healthcare costs, recovery costs (such as mountain rescue at a ski resort, for example), the cost of being flown back to the UK unexpectedly, or the cost of any lost or damaged property. EHIC replacement is not suitable for those on cruises, as the scheme is not valid in international waters.

While E111 card renewal is recommended for those travelling throughout the European Economic Area, most tour operators will also suggest that you have some sort of alternate travel insurance in place also. Some travel insurers will now insist on E11 card replacement prior to agreeing to offer you a policy, and many insurers will actually waive the excess if you hold an EHIC card.

If you intend to travel for the sole purpose of obtaining medical treatment in another country after arranging EHIC application online, you should familiarise yourself with the laws regarding the seeking of treatment in Europe.

Who is eligible for EHIC health card replacement?

Entitlement to European health card replacement is based on the insurability of a person under EU law, and it does not operate based on the nationality of a person. This same law applies across all EEA countries. In the UK, a residence-based healthcare system is in place, and this means that insurability is based generally on residency within the UK, as opposed to past or current payment of National Insurance contributions and/or UK taxes.

Persons who are normally resident in the United Kingdom who are otherwise uninsured by any other EEA country are generally considered insured in the UK under EU law. This means EU card replacement will be issued by the UK. Those who which to apply with an E111 replacement form will be required to provide the necessary evidence that they are entitled to EHIC card replacement, and the process can sometimes be confusing. Our EHIC replacement solution is intended to help those who struggle with the application process to access a European health insurance card replacement in a rapid, straight-forward manner.

In certain circumstances, confusion can arise as to whether you may be entitled to a UK-issued E11 replacement despite residing in another EEA country. Our team can help with the finer details of this process, and guide you through the correct EHIC replacement procedures.

Persons who are currently insured by another EEA country despite living in the UK are not entitled to apply for a UK-issued EHIC card replacement. In these circumstances, you may wish to contact the relevant authorities in the country you are currently insured in to request an EHIC, which is something we also might be able to help with, depending on your circumstances.

It is incredibly important to understand the EHIC card replacement process, or to seek the help of a firm that does – if your circumstances change, you could lose your EHIC replacement entitlement in the UK. If this happens, and you go on to use your EHIC within the EEA, you could end up being liable for the full cost of any treatment received. You could lose your entitlement to a UK-issued EHIC if you:

  • Move abroad
  • Start working abroad
  • Change your current residency status

Family EHIC card replacement

If you wish for all family members to be covered under the healthcare system of the country you are travelling to, it is important to understand that all family members require their very own EHIC replacement prior to travelling. Individuals can make applications for themselves and on behalf of their partners and any dependent children below the age of 16. If you currently hold an EHIC but need to arrange EHIC replacement for family members, you should provide us with your own details first, but also include the details of each family member you require additional cards for.

Travellers under the age of 16 will need a parent or guardian to apply on their behalf. If you are under the age of 16 and intending on travelling as part of a school trip, teaching staff or boarding school staff may be able to apply on your behalf, provided you are under their care.

When applying for EHIC replacement for families, you will be required to provide all of the following information for each person you apply for:

  • Full name
  • D.O.B
  • NI (National Insurance) number

If you are applying in Scotland, you will need your NHS number (also known as a CHI number). In Northern Ireland, you will require your Health & Care number.

Please note that our service cannot process EHIC EU card replacement for those with temporary National Insurance numbers. If you are unsure of whether you have a temporary NI number or not, consult your documentation. Temporary NI numbers use the prefix TN, followed by the person’s date of birth, finally followed by an “M” or “F” to denote their gender. An example of a temporary National Insurance number for a man born on the 12th June 1960, for example, would read TN120660M.

EHIC replacement for persons studying abroad

If you are a UK resident and intend on studying in Switzerland or another EEA country, you will have to apply for a student EHIC, also referred to as a time-limited EHIC. While a time-limited EHIC replacement cannot directly be applied for via the NHS online, we may be able to help with your application.

EHIC card replacement for Non-EEA nationals

If you or one of your family members are not a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, you may still be entitled to European health insurance card replacement – although you may need to provide extra evidence that you are eligible for the scheme. Our friendly and experienced team can guide you through the processes involved and make the application on your behalf.

UK EHIC replacement for those residing in Europe

If you are a UK national currently residing in another EEA country, you can still apply for EHIC card replacement using our service if one or more of the following applies to you:

  • You are currently in receipt of a UK state pension or other exportable UK benefit, and you also have a UK-issued S1 form (also known as a certificate of entitlement) which is registered in your current country of residence.
  • You are a worker who has been posted to work in another EEA country by a UK employer, or you are a frontier worker who lives in the EEA but works in the UK.
  • You are the family member of a posted worker, or of a person working in the UK, and you are not currently covered by the EEA country you reside in at the moment.

You can use our service to apply online for a UK EHIC card replacement. Our thorough process ensures that receiving your EHIC is quick, easy and affordable.

EHIC card replacement for myself or a family member

EHIC cards are typically valid for up to 5 years. It is important to check if your current EHIC is valid before making any travel arrangements to the EEA or Switzerland. If your EHIC is almost due to expire prior to travelling, you can arrange for EHIC card replacement up to six months before the expiry date on your current card. However, please note that any remaining time on your current card will not be added to your new card during the EHIC replacement process.

Our service is designed to make European health insurance card replacement easy. This means that even if deadlines prior to travelling are tight, we will work to the best of our ability to ensure all relevant paperwork is correct, in order for your E111 replacement to be processed as quickly as possible. In some instances, this can be as quick just one week – sometimes quicker, depending on the time of year and the number of applications the government needs to process.

Amending/replaceing details for some (but not all) family members

If the time for EHIC card replacement has come for some but not all of your family members, you will need to provide us with the details of all family members (including those who still have valid cards). This allows us to ensure that the details of all members of your family remain linked on the EHIC replacement database. However, only family members whose cards have expired (or are due to expire within six months) will be eligible for replacement at this time.

If you need to amend any personal details, you will need to provide us with your EHIC PIN (personal identification number). This can be found on your card, on the same line as your date of birth. If your EHIC card replacement is UK-registered, your PIN will begin with the prefix “UK”. An example of an EHIC personal identification number is UK654321. It is good practice to have this reference number to hand whenever using our service, as it allows us to quickly find your details within our system.

If you do not have your EHIC personal information number to hand but need to change some of your details, you may not be able to do this online. Please contact our team for further information, and we will do our best to help.

Why would I need to amend my details?

If your name has changed (for example, if you have recently got married), or if your address has changed since your last EHIC replacement, you may want to update your details to ensure that you remain covered in the event of needing treatment within the EEA. Without up-to-date details, your card could be rejected, leaving you to foot the bill for the full cost of any treatment. It’s therefore important to keep things up to date, and with our service, you can ensure that all of your EHIC documentation is fully legal and contains all the correct information.

EHIC replacement for non-EEA nationals

If you or a member of your family are not EEA or Swiss nationals, our service can help you to prove that you are eligible for European health insurance card replacement. You may need to provide evidence of your visa and/or UK residence permit before we can apply on your behalf. Copies which are scanned/uploaded/emailed are acceptable.

European health insurance card replacement for those living abroad

  • If you are living abroad (outside the EEA), yet receive a UK state pension
  • Receive another exportable UK benefit
  • Are a frontier worker or posted worker
  • Are currently residing in the EEA, and are a family member of someone working in the UK

Our service can also help you. Simply contact a member of our team to find out what information you will need to provide us with, or follow the quick and easy online application process.

EHIC card replacement – what does it cover me for?

Once you replace your EHIC, you’ll be provided with the right to state-provided healthcare during temporary stays to EEA countries and Switzerland. Different countries have different laws regarding what you are and aren’t entitled to. Some countries may provide you with healthcare free of charge, whereas others will expect you to make a contribution based on a percentage of the total cost of the treatment. In any case, this will work out cheaper than having to pay full-cost without an EHIC – which is why it makes perfect sense to use our service to apply for your European health insurance card replacement today.

Your EHIC will cover routine maternity care (not just in the case of an accident or illness), provided that you have not gone abroad with the sole intention of giving birth in another country. However, if you give birth unexpectedly, your EHIC should cover the cost of any medical treatment for both mother and baby.

With an EHIC, the provision of kidney dialysis and oxygen is covered. However, you will be required to pre-book and arrange any of these treatments prior to going on holiday. If necessary, you should consult your local hospital or GP for advice. It is important to ensure you do not book in for kidney dialysis/oxygen treatments with a private healthcare provider. This is because only state healthcare is covered by your replacement EHIC.

If you have a pre-existing condition which needs frequent monitoring, your card will cover any routine medical care on the continent.

Is there anything my EHIC card replacement will NOT cover?

Your EHIC will not cover medical expenses if it can be proven that you have travelled abroad for the express purpose of seeking medical treatment. In some parts of the EEA, state-provided healthcare may not be available. You will not be eligible for treatment with an EHIC card replacement in these areas and should consider travel insurance when travelling to such areas.

I have lost my EHIC – what now?

If you need emergency EHIC card replacement, you should contact our team today. You will need to provide the following information:

  • Full name
  • UK address
  • Date of birth
  • EHIC personal identification number (if you know it)

If your card has been stolen, you may still be eligible for treatment prior to arranging for EHIC replacement. In the event of requiring treatment after losing your card, you might need to apply for a Provision Replacement Certificate (sometimes referred to as a PRC). This will provide you with the same cover as an EHIC until your return home, at which point you can use our service to arrange for prompt EHIC card replacement.

Claiming a refund with your EHIC card

Did you know that you can claim a refund for certain goods and services if you possess an European health insurance card replacement? This is necessary because sometimes you may require treatment or access to prescriptions during your travels, although you may be required to pay your bill in full upfront, prior to claiming a refund after returning home.

If you need to claim a refund after receiving treatment or paying for a prescription, you should remember to keep any relevant documentation (such as receipts, invoices or other paperwork). These could be important when it comes to applying for a refund.

The more information we have, the easier it is to arrange for the issue of a replacement EHIC card for you. We pride ourselves on offering a thorough, rapid EHIC card replacement solution, and will do our best to help you in the event of having lost or misplaced your current European health insurance card.

Our EHIC application process

Our aim is to make applying for a replacement EHIC card as simple as can be. However, please note that all E111 applications we process are subject to approval from the NHS. We do not hold any power to grant an EHIC card ourselves.

Instead, what we offer is a means to make the application process as easy as possible, thereby saving you from any unnecessary delays in receiving your health card. We also offer a fast online process which can be quicker than applying via the post.

If you have any concerns or queries about applying for EHIC replacement, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our team of friendly and experienced experts are here to provide answers to any questions you may have about the application process – and more importantly, to guide you through the process to ensure that all fields are filled in correctly, all information is correct and that you receive your EHIC as soon as possible.

This helps to take the stress out of applying for EHIC card replacement, providing you with complete peace of mind that you will be entitled to state-provided healthcare while travelling throughout the EEA and Switzerland.

EHIC replacement, Brexit and a theoretical no-deal situation

If the UK decides to leave the EU with no deal in 2019, your access to healthcare when visiting EU countries could be subject to change. However, the UK is currently unlikely to leave the EU prior to 21 October 2019, with further extensions predicted and the possibility of “no deal” yet to be determined. If you are travelling throughout the EEA in 2019, you are strongly recommended to apply for EHIC card replacement to ensure you are covered in the event of needing state-required healthcare throughout Europe and Switzerland.